There’s no doubt about it: Your pet is a member of your family. Whether you’re a cat person or dog person, our lovable furry friends provide companionship, happiness, joy and –unfortunately– pet dander.
Pet dander is one of the most common allergens in the United States, and the flakes from Fido can agitate sinuses and make asthma even worse.
But are you ready for more bad news? These particles can become trapped in your air ducts.
The good news is that pet dander can be removed from your air ducts thanks to the services of First Call.
We will talk about how pet dander affects your allergies, what happens when it gets stuck in your air ducts and how air duct cleaning services like those at First Call can help you and your pets live happily ever after.
Pet Dander: One of the Leading Allergens in the US
An allergen is something that causes an allergic reaction. Pet dander is one of the most common allergens in the United States, in addition to pollen in ragweed. In fact, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that as many as 3 in 10 people have allergic reactions to dogs and cats. Cat allergies are twice as common as dog allergies
While many people say they are allergic to pet hair, in actuality, they are allergic to pet dander which is a collection of flakes of dead skin.
And despite what you may have heard, There’s actually no such thing as a hypoallergenic pet. However, some breeds of dogs and animals shed significantly less—and have less pet dander — than others.
Pet dander can affect your health causing:
- Runny nose
- Sinus problems
- Asthma symptoms
Add to this equation that air circulates through your heating and air conditioning system roughly seven times a day and you can see how something as small as pet dander can become a big problem.
How Can Pet Dander Be Removed from Air Ducts?
First, it’s vital to secure air duct cleaning services because this is not a DIY job.
While air filtration systems can help, nothing will be as effective as a thorough cleaning of your home’s air ducts.
Typically, we recommend cleaning your air ducts every three to five years. However, you may wish to clean them sooner if you have allergy symptoms that are getting worse, or you’ve recently completed a new renovation or construction project.
How Do Air Duct Cleaning Services Work?
First, before we start cleaning, we inspect the air ducts. This gives us a good idea of their initial condition and the scope of work required.
Then, it’s vital to create negative air pressure so contaminants won’t flood the rest of your home.
Once we have everything under negative air pressure, we uncover every register. This enables us to clean each individual air duct properly. Our industrial strength vacuums will remove dirt and debris from your system. We use a variety of tools including air compressors and rotating brushes.
While every job will vary depending upon the scope and size, most cleanings should take three to five hours.
The most important aspect is that we are able to clean your air ducts thoroughly without letting the dirt and pet dander spread throughout your home.
Some Things You Can Do In Between Air Duct Cleanings
There’s a lot you can do in between air duct cleanings to minimize your exposure to pet dander:
- You should vacuum and dust your house regularly to avoid a build-up of pet dander.
- In addition, try to avoid fabric-covered furniture, carpets and rugs which can trap pet hairs and dander.
- If you have a cat, be sure its litter box is far away from the air vent.
- When you brush your pets, be sure to do it outside to avoid tracking pet dander into the home.
- Change your air filters regularly.
- HEPA filters are recommended by the U.S. Department of Health because they eliminate 99 percent of pollutants.
- Be sure to examine the MERV rating of your filter. This stands for the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values. This reports any filter’s capacity to capture particles that are between 0.3 and 10 microns.
- While electrostatic filters are cost-effective and reliable, they may struggle to filter out larger pollutants, which could cause problems for those with respiratory problems.
- Washable filters are a great economic option and typically can last for the entire life of your HVAC system. However, they have to be maintained in order to do their job well. They also have a lower MERV rating, so they may not be the best choice for someone who needs specialized filters.
First Call Is Always the Right Call When It Comes to Removing Pet Dander
If your allergies are off the charts, there’s no need to blame your pet. By having your ducts cleaned by an air duct cleaning service near you, we can get rid of the dander so you can live and breathe easier.
When it comes to air duct cleaning services, First Call rises above the competition. We are dedicated to professionalism, integrity and getting the job done right.
For decades, we’ve been the leading restoration company in the Burlington, Greensboro and Triangle areas.
Our business philosophy is simple: We put our customers first.
This is why we tackle your job with the same dedication whether it’s a 3-bedroom house or an industrial warehouse.
We believe there’s no substitute for treating people with the dignity, care and respect that they deserve.
Contact us for an estimate today.